Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Yucky Charms

 
Growing up, the breakfast cereal of note was Cherrios.  On occasion we had Honey Nut Cheerios or if my mom was feeling particularly generous-Golden Grahams.  Lame.  I can honestly say I never saw a box of these in my house





As an adult who can make her own (bad) choices I have grown to love Yucky Charms as I so lovingly call them.  Brian loves them too and one particularly trying visit to the grocery store I bought a box, Eleanor tried them and here's a shock...she loved them!  Great.  Big mistake on my part, BIG.  I have successfully avoided purchasing yuckies with any kind of regularity but when we moved to NYC Brian found this fab bag of yummies at Whole Foods.  


So the nutrition facts are pretty similar (sadly)  & it seems the ingredients are pretty similar.  Though Three Sisters (above) doesn't use artificial colors-their marshmallows are colored with blueberry, pumpkin and carrot concentrates and no artificial flavor-yay.  Three Sisters uses wheat starch in place of corn starch.  AND they use less packaging so there is less waste...so these are all good things to love about the Three Sisters brand.
BUT...
they both use Trisodium Phosphate.  TSP is also a cleaning agent, stain remover and degreaser and apparently is great at cleaning concrete!  Now obviously the TSP found in food
is food grade (it's an emulsifier) and for all I can see it's not harmful but I don't think I want to eat too much of it.   According to this it seems there is another option in the emulsifier world...lecithin.  Some people are allergic to lecithin & soy lecithin so you need to make sure you read your ingredient list before you buy.     Just another lesson on this food adventure...maybe stay away from ready to eat cereal...most of the time.  

I'm still going to finish this bag of Marshmallow Oaties. 

No comments:

Post a Comment