Monday, May 23, 2011

I fell in the functional food trap


I was shopping in Whole Foods last week and a lovely girl was sampling cookies.  COOKIES!  Well of course Eleanor and I had to check it out.  The girl looked sweet and rather lonely so we stopped, and sampled.  What we tried were Goji Gourmet  cookies…here they are on my desk.  

 Now I know that “functional food” is a great way to market to people using the “this is better for you” health claim.  And claim these cookies do!  Right on the package… “100% natural” “delicious wholesome Super Food” “10x more ANTIOXIDANTS than blueberries”.  Now I’m smart enough to know that these cookies are not going to solve any health problems or boost my overall physical wellness but there is a part of me that thinks…well, every little bit helps and these MUST be better for you than major supermarket brand cookies.
Here’s what I know…the Goji Gourmet cookies have ingredients that I recognize-whole wheat flour, eggs, butter, pure vanilla extract etc... most of them organic (though it is not a USDA certified organic cookie) and it has no preservatives. 
Those other cookies, who shall remain nameless have a lot of things I know are bad-partially hydrogenated soybean oil, high fructose corn syrup, artificial flavors & colors.
Are the Goji berry cookies going to make me healthier?  No.  Are they a better choice for a once in a while treat? YES.  Is this choice better for my family than those other brands?  I say yes.  AND they are pretty darn good.
I did fall into the trap, but I think it’s ok.

For more information on Functional Food check out this excellent article from the NY Times last Sunday May 15th
"Foods With Health Benefits, or So They Say"  

No comments:

Post a Comment